WFE’s ecologists have a professional background of working in nature conservation and management, and so have well-developed understandings of the issues related to protected area wildlife management.
WFE has produced management plans for nature reserves, including protected areas designated as NNR, SSSI, SAC and SPA. We also provide advice to planning officers on ecological matters such as Habitats Regulations Assessments.
- Management plans for Local Nature Reserves, SSSIs, NNRs and European designated sites
- Providing evidence for Habitats Regulations Assessments and Appropriate Assessments
- Advising local authorities on protected species issues
- Site-specific surveys (e.g. stone curlew habitat assessment, NVC survey)
- Site condition monitoring
- Peer review services
WFE were commissioned to undertake an audit of the Norfolk Coast AONB for grazing. The purpose was to identify areas of the AONB where conservation grazing could deliver practical benefits. We screened the entire AONB using satellite imagery, identified the current distribution of grazing, and then visited all areas potentially suitable for conservation grazing. The results have stimulated action towards an increase in grazing of valued sites throughout the AONB.